There is nothing more annoying than seeing regular pop-ups on your computer every now and then. Pop-ups are usually distractive such that they can make you leave a website that you just opened. See, when a popup appears on a website you were visiting, you might just lose your patience and temper to stay longer on that particular site. It has been proven that most often, pop-ups are the main reason as to why most websites out there are losing and also that is why they cannot attract new visitors even when they have a high rank on the search engines. The same thing could happen on your computer and the cause is iTunes. Therefore I am going to show you how to stop iTunes from opening automatically.
Usually, by default on Pc and Mac, iTunes starts automatically when you plug your device into the computer. However, if you do not want it to open every time you connect your phone on the PC, there is a solution to this annoying situation.
It has been a call of the people to want to know how to Stop iTunes from Opening Automatically When Your iPhone Is Connected to Your Mac or PC.
I am also going to show you how you can stop the MacOS Photos application from opening automatically as well when you just want to charge your iPhone from your Mac.
Overview about iTunes
iTunes is a classic megastore that has turned out to be the largest provider of online entertainment media in the whole world. This includes movies, TV shows, music, apps, audiobooks, and many more. You can get access to all of these cool staff very easily through your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC.
See, the best thing about iTunes apart from an online store, it works as a smart manager of all your media content as well.
But however, there is always a spot in anything good out there. If you have been using iTunes for a while now, I believe that you have noticed that situation whereby when you plug your iOS devices to your PC, the iTunes application always starts itself automatically.
Apart from being such an annoying thing, it can also be useful by making one process more convenient. This is if you are going to synchronize your iPhone data to iTunes for backup.
However, if you are only connecting your iPhone for charging purposes or maybe want to do other tasks that may have nothing to do with iTunes at all, this could be irritating.
But thanks to our findings, there are easy solutions to stop iTunes from opening automatically on Mac or Windows, and without wasting time, let us dive right in.
Stop iTunes Opening Automatically On Computer
iTunes’ default settings are to launch the app automatically on your Windows computer or Mac. This is usually done when it detects that an Apple device has been connected to the PC.
While this feature can be useful in some cases, it can be annoying when your intention most of the time is to only charge your device.
Solution 1: Disable the Automatically Sync Device feature
In order for you to stop iTunes from starting automatically on either Windows 10/8 or 7, the first thing you should consider to do is simply disable iTunes Helper and remove iTunesHelper.exe straight from startup programs.
Well, if you don’t know what the iTunes Helper is, it is simply an application that launches iTunes when you plug in any Apple device to a computer.
Therefore, disabling it can stop the iTunes auto launching irritation immediately.
To disable this feature:
- First of all, connect your iPhone to your computer. Make sure that you are using an original USB cable for your iPhone.
- Once you plug it in, iTunes will open automatically.
- Now click on the iPhone option that is located on the menu bar. By doing this, you will be able to open the iTunes settings.
- Open the Summary so that you can see the options that are in the right panel.
- Browse through the options until you see the checked Automatically Sync when iPhone is connected option. Simply uncheck it and then save the settings.
- Click Done.
- Disconnect your iPhone from the computer and restart it.
- Plugin the iPhone and see if you were able to stop iTunes from opening automatically.
Solution 2: Disable Automatically Sync from Preferences.
If you thought that you cannot stop iTunes from opening automatically through the preferences then you are wrong. You can change the automatic start settings in the iTunes Preferences tab.
To stop iTunes opening automatically;
- Connect your iPhone to your PC and as always. Make sure that you are only using the original USB cable for your iPhone for you to open iTunes automatically.
- Afterward, open the iTunes menu. You can find this on the upper menu of the iTunes application.
- Click on Preferences and you will immediately see a dialog box on your screen.
- Now click on the Devices icon.
- Later on, uncheck the Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically option and finally click Ok.
- Restart your PC and reconnect your iPhone once your PC reboots.
Solution 3: Disable iTunes Helper service for Windows
As the title says, this method will only work if you are using the Windows operating system. It is not like the steps in solution 1 which will work on both macOS and Windows.
The iTunes Helper service by default runs in the background. Its work is often to detect all iDevices that are being connected to your computer. In return, it opens iTunes automatically.
- Open Task Manager by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and then select task manager. Alternatively, you can open directly by simply pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC.
- Now head over to Startup and the look for iTunesHelper from the list.
- Finally, right-click on the iTunesHelper and then choose Disable.
Over to You
By now I hope that you have been able to stop iTunes from opening automatically on your Windows or macOS operating system.
When you keenly follow the above steps, you will no longer see iTunes opening automatically when you connect your iPhone to your computer.
If you were not able to fix this issue, let us know what the problem is and help you out from where you are stuck.