Some users have complained that their iPhone X isn’t unlocking or it is totally unresponsive. Some others complain that the display is black. In such cases, your efforts to unlock the iPhone X with the Face ID, screen unlocking methods, etc, does not work. You are unable to call anybody, receive any calls, use any of the apps, etc. You are left with an iPhone that just doesn’t serve its purpose. It is quite frustrating!
We will discuss why iPhone X won’t unlock and how we can fix the issue in this article.
Causes of iPhone X Won’t Unlock
Minor software problems are the main reason why your iPhone X does not unlock. The rapid temperature drop is also a cause of unresponsive display.
Rarely, hardware issues also cause this problem. If any external object falls on the display, it may cause problems.
Update the iOS
You should make sure that you have the latest iOS version of the operating system software installed on your iPhone X device. If the display screen is locked, unlock the display by any of the fixes given below and then update the iOS. iOS can be updated as explained below.
- Go to the settings app.
- Tap on “General”.
- Then, select “Software Update”.
How to Fix iPhone X Won’t Unlock Problem?
Before proceeding with the fixes given below, make sure that the display screen of the mobile device is clean. Remove any improper screen protector or case that causes a problem with the touch functionality of the mobile device.
iPhone X Won’t Unlock Problem can be fixed by different methods. Some of the most common fixes are discussed below.
Swipe up from the White Horizontal Bar at the Very Bottom of iPhone X’s Screen
Sometimes, the screen may be locked because of swiping problems. The proper method to swipe the display screen is explained below.
A. If Face ID Recognizes your Face
- iPhone X will display a message “swipe up to open“.
- Swipe up from the very bottom of the screen.
- Enter the passcode, when prompted.
- Check if the iPhone X is unlocked or not.
B. If your Face isn’t Recognized
- iPhone X will display the message “swipe up to unlock“. The lock symbol will be displayed near the top of the screen. Move to a brighter location, so that the device can recognize your face. If the device recognizes your face now and the display issue is still not fixed, try any of the fixes given in this article.
- If your face is still not recognized, you can not do much on your own. Take the iPhone X device to the nearest Apple store or Apple authorized service center. Get it serviced and make sure that the display issue is fixed. You may be charged for the services rendered.
2. Move to a Different Area
A sudden drop in the temperature of the device can cause the display to be locked. To fix this issue, do the following.
- Move to a different room if you are inside any building.
- Move to another area if you are outside of any building.
- Check if the locked display issue is fixed or not.
3. Hard Reset / Restart
Hard Resetting the iPhone X can fix the unresponsive behavior. This needs to be done as follows.
- Press and release the volume up button, quickly
- Press and release the volume down button, quickly.
- Now, press and hold down the side button until the Apple logo appears (it may take 10-15 seconds).
- Check if the iPhone X Won’t Unlock Problem is resolved or not.
Note: Instead of steps 1 and 2, you may press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time.
4. Charge the Device
Sometimes, you can fix the display issues by charging the iPhone X device. This is explained below.
- Connect the iPhone X to its charger.
- Plugin the charger to the power socket.
- Switch on the charger.
- Wait for an hour for the device to get charged. If you do not see the charging screen appear within an hour, check the connecting jack, power adapter, and the USB cable. Make sure that they are connected firmly. If you suspect any problem, try to get another charging device that is compatible with your iPhone X.
- Check if the display issue is resolved or it still persists.
5. Device Firmware Update
Device Firmware Update (DFU) can fix most of the iPhone X problems, The Device Firmware Update procedure is explained below.
- Connect the iPhone X to a computer or laptop which has got iTunes installed.
- Open the iTunes application.
- iPhone 8 or later iPhone users need to press and quickly release the Volume Up button, followed by pressing and quickly releasing the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the side button on your iPhone X, until you see the recovery-mode screen.
- Locate and click on the device name, to select it.
- When you see the message asking you to select any one the following menu options; “Cancel”, “Restore” or “Update”, select “Update”. Your computer will try to reinstall the software without erasing your data. Wait for 15 minutes or so.
- Redo step 3 and 4.
- Check if the iPhone X Won’t unlock the problem is fixed or not.
Conclusion: iPhone X won’t unlock problem occurs to some iPhone users. The main reason for this problem is minor software glitches. Sometimes, hardware damage also causes this problem. Temperature drops can also cause the display to be locked.
iPhone X won’t unlock problem can be fixed easily. When your iPhone X shows the lock icon, swipe up from the white horizontal bar at the very bottom of the iPhone X’s Screen to fix the issue. Hard resetting is another method to fix the locked iPhone X. Device Firmware Update is another method to fix iPhone X won’t Unlock Problem.
Devices with Face recognition systems may have issues if you are in a darker area. You need to move to a properly lighted area to get the issue fixed. Sometimes, charging the iPhone X device for an hour or so resolves the locked display issues. Moving to another room or area can also fix the locked display issues if there the problem is caused by any sudden drop in temperature.