When you need to install Windows 10 freshly on your computer or when the Windows 10 operating system needs to be re-installed or repaired, you may need a Windows installation USB drive.
This bootable USB drive will have a copy of your Windows 10 installable files. Please keep the 25 character Windows product key handy while doing the installation or repair of the Windows 10 operating system. The product key is not required for digitally licensed Windows.
I will explain to you in detail the steps involved in creating a USB install drive for Windows 10 in this article. UNetbootin, a cross-platform booting USB disk for Windows, Linux, Mac, etc., is also explained in this article.
How To Easily Create a Windows 10 Install USB Drive From Microsoft Website
USB Drive Pre-requisites
You need to have a USB drive with a minimum capacity of 8 gigabytes (8 GB). It is advisable to have a fast USB 3.0 drive as it speeds up to install or reinstall or repair of Windows 10 operating system.
A word of caution: You will lose all existing data on the USB drive once you start the process of making the bootable Windows 10 USB drive. Make sure that the USB drive is empty. If it is not empty, copy the contents of the USB drive, which is to be used as the Windows install drive, to your computer hard disk or to another USB drive or to the Google drive.
Note: A DVD can also be used instead of a USB drive to create a bootable drive for Windows 10.
Making the Bootable Windows 10 USB Drive
The steps involved in making the bootable USB drive for Windows 10 are given below.
- Go to the official Microsoft Windows 10 installation media website.
- Click on the “Download tool now” button under the “Create Windows 10 installation media” subheading.
- Click on “Save File”.
- The required files will be downloaded now.
- Click on the “Run” button to start creating the USB Drive.
- Then, click on “Yes”.
- Click on the “Accept” button to accept the applicable notices and license terms.
- Click on the second radio button “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC.
- The default options which are shown above should work for most users. If you need to change any of the given options like language, edition, or architecture, you can change those values.
- Click on “Next”.
- Select “USB flash drive” as the media. Click “Next”.
- Now, select the USB drive from the displayed USB drive names on your screen. Then, click on “Next”.
- Now, the actual process of downloading windows 10 starts. A progress bar will show the progress in percentage. You need to wait for a few minutes for the download to complete.
- Once the progress bar shows 100 %, click on the “Finish” button. This will delete any temporary files from your computer.
- A message ” Congratulations the bootable Windows 10 USB is done” will be displayed on your monitor.
- Now, you can use this Windows 10 Install USB Drive for Windows 10 installation or repair.
UNetbootin USB Drive for Windows 10 Installations
UNetbootin is a cross-platform bootable USB flash drive that can be used for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X operating system based computers or laptos.
To create a bootable Live UNetbootin USB drive for Windows, do the following procedure.
- Go to the website, https://unetbootin.github.io/.
- Click on the button “Download (Windows)”.
- Now, Click on the “Save File” button.
- Click on the downloaded file, unetbootin-windows-675.exe.
- Your computer may display a warning message that the app is not a Mircosoft verified app. Click on the “Install anyway” button. Otherwise, click on “Run”.
- Click “Yes”.
- Select any value from the given list of values for the “Select Distribution” column.
- Select any value from the given list of values for the “Select Version” column. Note: Live versions allow booting windows in live mode. The installer can be optionally launched in live versions. On the other hand, Netinstall versions allow offline installation using pre-downloaded ISO installation files or installation over FTP. Decide on the type of version you require and then select any corresponding value.
- Select ‘Type’ as “USB Drive”. (You can also select Type as ‘Hard Disk’ if you require so).
- Select the USB drive letter from the given value for the “Drive” column.
- Click on “OK”.
- Wait for a few minutes for the download process to be completed. Once the download is completed, an “Exit” button will appear. Click on the “Exit” button.
- Your UNetbootin USB bootable drive for Windows 10 is ready now.
Conclusion: When you need to install, reinstall or repair windows 10, you need a bootable Windows 10 Install USB Drive. USB boot drive for Windows can be easily created from the official Microsoft Windows 10 installation media website, for free. You need to have your Windows product key in case your copy of windows 10 is s not a digital one.
Creating a bootable USB drive for Windows 10 is a simple process. Click on the Download link and Run the application. You need to accept the terms of the license and then follow the instructions displayed on your monitor. Detailed instructions with a few of the image screenshots are given in this article.
UNetbootin is a cross-platform bootable USB flash drive for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. Go to the website unetbootin.github.io and download the Windows file. Click on the file and allow the program to run. Select the required settings and click “OK”. Within a few minutes, your UNetbootin USB drive will be ready.