Google Chrome is the most used internet browser in the world. Google chrome contains lots of features and offers seamless experience to its users. Chrome offers high speed browsing by loading pages quickly. It also suggests you alternate websites, related phrases to search for, predicts the overall phrase as soon as you type few words, syncs browsing history and bookmarks across platforms etc…
One of the best features offered by Google Chrome is automatic spelling check. Google chrome contains inbuilt spelling checker which is very handy if you love to type fast. Spelling checker will correct your spelling while you type fast. Chrome uses web services and your language preference to correct your spelling. Spelling checker is turned off by default. Most of the users don’t know about this. Spelling checker must be turned ON from settings. It’s a very simple process. Chrome mainly send the data to Google search internally which in turn corrects the spelling in your browser. Follow the simple steps to below to turn ON spelling checker in Google Chrome.
How to Turn on Spell Checker in Google Chrome?
1. Turn ON Spell Checker in Chrome on Windows
Follow the steps below to turn on spell checker on Google Chrome in Windows:
1. Open Google Chrome and click on 3 dots on top right hand corner.
2. Click on “Settings” at the bottom.
3. Scroll down and tap on “Advanced“.
4. Check “Privacy and Security” and find “Use a Web Service to help resolve spelling errors“. Turn it ON by tapping on slider. This option may not be there in latest version of Google Chrome.
5. If you have updated Google Chrome to latest version then check under “Languages”. You will get 2 options.
- Language ( To add multiple languages)
- Spell Check (Turn ON spell check for languages that you have. Suppose you want Google chrome to check spelling for ENGLISH (UNITED STATES) then turn on spell check for this language in Spell check option.
- You can add custom spelling in SPELL CHECK option.
- Click on small downward arrow in front of spell check. TURN ON by taping on slider in front of ENG (US) or language of your choice.
6. Now restart Google Chrome or refresh your current tab for settings to take effect.
2. Turn ON Spell Checker in Google Chrome on Macbook
Most of the features in Google chrome on Windows and Macbook are same. However few things differ in terms of settings. Spelling checker is one of them. If you go to Settings >> Advanced >> Privacy and Security or Languages >> Search for Spell checker then you won’t find it.
Follow the steps below to Turn ON spell Checker in Chrome on Mac:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on “Edit” in the Menu bar.
- Click on “Spelling and Grammar” option at the bottom.
- You will get 3 options namely
- Show Spelling and Grammar
- Check Document Now
- Check Spelling While Typing
- Select “Check Spelling While Typing”.
There are some Spell Checker plugins available for Google Chrome as well. You can download and install the Spell Checker plugin in Chrome. Plugin is available for both Windows and Macbook.