Restoring the iPhone means that wiping out of all the data on the device. i.e. If you were to restore your iPhone, all the data, apps, settings, etc, on your mobile device will be lost. If you are thinking of restoring the iPhone device, it’s always advisable that you back up the data on the mobile device before going in for restoring the iPhone device.
Restoring iPhone will make the mobile device and the operating system resembling a new one. You will lose all the settings and data you have stored on the device; but you can get those from the back up copy if you have the back up copy on your computer or in the iCloud.
Backup data can be used to restore all the apps, music, settings, etc, on your device. The “Restore iPhone” button should be used only when there is an issue with the iPhone device that other options can not resolve.
How to Restore iPhone?
There are different methods to restore an iPhone. These methods are explained in detail in the following paragraphs.
1. Restore an iPhone Using Backup from the Computer
Follow the instructions given below to restore the device using a Mac or Windows computer or laptop. iTunes app on Windows computers or laptops can be used to backup the data on your device and also to restore the mobile iPhone device.
Note: It is advisable to take a backup of the data to iTunes application on your computer or laptop, before you do an iPhone restore. To backup the device using iTunes application, do the following steps. Please enure that the iTunes application is updated with the latest version.
- Turn on the iPhone.
- Open the iTunes application on your laptop or computer.
- Now, connect your iPhone device to the computer or laptop using a USB cable.
- Select your iPhone device from the list.
- Go to Select File -> Device -> Backup -> Backup Now from Summary.
- iTunes will now back up all data from your device e.g. apps, photos, media, messages, settings, etc.
To restore the iPhone, follow the steps given below.
- Connect the iPhone to the computer or laptop using a USB cable.
- On Mac systems with mac OS Catalina 10.15 operating systems, open “Finder”. On Mac systems with mac OS Mojave 10.14 or earlier operating systems, open iTunes. If you are using a PC or laptop with Windows operating system, open iTunes.
- Go to Select Summary -> Restore Backup.
- Now, choose the source backup that you would like to backup from.
- Then, confirm that you would like to restore your iPhone by clicking on the “Restore” button.
- If the backup copy is encrypted, you need to enter the password for restoring the device. Encrypted backup in your computer or laptop is optional and is set “Off” by default. You need to make Encrypted backup to “On”, if you want to Encrypt the backup of your data.
- Wait for the restore process to complete.
- Now your iPhone device is restored and ready to be used.
2. Restore an iPhone from iCloud Backup
Another method to restore an iPhone is using the iCloud from Apple Inc. iCloud is the cloud storage platform from Apple computers that can be used backup and retrieve (or restore) data from the cloud storage platform. iCloud offers 5 GB of free storage space and up to a maximum of 2TB of storage space for a fee. The charges for the paid cloud server storage space differs across different countries. e.g. 50 GB costs $0.99, 200 GB costs $2.99, and 2 TB costs $9.99 in United States of America. The charges mentioned above are iCloud monthly charges, as on April 2020.
iCloud is especially useful if you want to switch to a new iOS device. Make sure that the iOS is updated to the latest version, before backing up your device and restoring. The steps to backup and restore an iPhone from the iCloud is given below.
Follow the instructions given below to backup an iPhone to the Apple iCloud. Make sure that the WiFi connection is working. Before proceeding with the following instructions, please turn on the iPhone device. The “Hello screen” appears, once the iPhone is turned on.
Note: It is advisable to take a backup of the data to the iCloud before you do an iPhone mobile restore. Please bear in mind that the iCloud backup always stores the data in the encrypted form.
iCloud backup can be done as explained below.
- Tap on Settings -> (your name) -> iCloud.
- For iOS 10.2 or earlier, Go to -> Settings -> Scroll down to iCloud. Go to iCloud Backup. Make sure that the “iCloud Backup” is turned “on”.
- Then, tap “Backup Now”.
- Once the backup process is completed, check that the backup was successful, by going to Settings -> (your name) -> iCloud Storage -> Manage Storage.
To restore your iPhone using the iCloud backup, follow the instructions given below.
- Go to the Apps & Data screen.
- Then tap on “Restore from iCloud backup”.
- Sign in to your iCloud account with your Apple ID.
- A list of available iCloud backups will come up. Choose a Backup. Select the latest one or whichever is relevant to you.
- Transfer of data from the iCloud backup to the iPhone device will start now.
- If the message says “newer version of software is required”, follow the onscreen prompts to download and install the required software.
- Sign in with your Apple ID to restore the apps or iTunes you have purchased from Apple store. You may skip this step; but will need to do this again when you want to use those applications.
- Wait for the progress bar to complete evaluation process. This process can take anywhere from a few minutes to even an hour or so. Finish the restore setup.
- Content like apps, music, videos, photos, etc and any other information will continue to restore in the background. This may take a few minutes to hours in most of the cases. In rare cases where you have massive data stored on the cloud, it may take even days to complete the restoration process (up to 2 TB of data can be stored to the iCloud servers).
- Once the restore process is finished, your iPhone is ready for use.
Note: If you want to reset your device instead of restoring the device, go to the following menu options on your iPhone Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase all Content and Settings.
3. Restore an iPhone to the Factory Settings
Restoring your iPhone to Factory Settings will cause all all data and content from your iPhone (or iPad, or iPod) device to get erased.
Note: Before you go for a factory settings restore, please ensure that the data on the iPhone device is backed up, so that you can restore the data if the need arise, after the mobile iPhone is “Restored”. Data can be backed up by two different methods. iTunes app can be used on Mac, Windows computers, and Windows laptops. Another method to back up your iPhone mobile data is to use the Apple iCloud services. Both these methods are explained in detail in the earlier paragraphs.
To do an iPhone restore to factory settings, please follow the instructions given below.
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on General -> Reset -> Erase all Content and Settings.
- Enter your pass code, if asked for it.
- Tap “Erase iPhone” to confirm the deletion of existing data on your device.
- Wait for the Restore process to be completed.
- Now, you iPhone is restored with original factory settings.
Conclusion: Restoring the iPhone device causes all the data on the device to be lost. It is always advisable to take a back up of the data, before you restore the mobile device. There are different methods to backup and restore an iPhone. Some of the methods are described in detail in this article.
Back up can be done in different methods. One method is to use the iTunes app. This method backs up the data to your local Mac machine or Windows computer or laptop. Another method is to back up the data to the iCloud servers, which is a service offered by Apple Inc. Up to 5 GB of data can be copied to the iCloud servers, free of cost. Once the free storage limit is exhausted, you may opt for the payment plans to copy data to their cloud servers. Up to 2 TB of data can be copied to the cloud servers of Apple by paying the required charges. The charges for the paid cloud server storage space varies across countries. The monthly charges for the iCloud server storage space in the United States is $0.99 for 50 GB and $2.99 for 200 GB. 2 TB costs $9.99 in USA.
Restoring the iPhone can be done by using the iTunes app. This is done by connecting your device to the Mac or Windows computer or laptop that has got the latest version of the iTunes app. Another method to restore an iPhone mobile device is by using the iCloud service of Apple Inc. You need to connect to the iCloud using your Apple ID and then restore the device. It can take a few minutes to hours, or even days to complete the restoration process if data stored is very large in Tera Bytes. The restoration process works in the background. By using the settings app on the device, you can also restore the mobile iPhone device to factory settings.