Minecraft is a thriller and a very popular game that many people enjoy playing. The game is played by people of most people regardless of age or status. However, there have been cases whereby some users have been complaining of a problem that makes them unable to update the Minecraft native launcher game application in Windows.
The problem experienced in this game happens to also prevent you from playing the game. This so because at that time the update process is frozen and there is nothing that can run.
From the reports we have gathered from several sources, we found out that many users install Minecraft updates right through the Minecraft Launcher app. And now when the entire updating process fails or maybe gets stuck, the app displays an error message: Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher.
When the error in question appears in the game, the Minecraft game application usually tries to restart the update process once again and again the update gets stuck just like before.
Why does Minecraft give the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher error message?
It is always a good practice to find out why you receive some errors on your PC before digging down to how you can fix or resolve them. During our research, we figured out the issues that break the Minecraft update process or issues that trigger the error and we came up with this list:
A. Irregularities in the new launcher:
We found out that the error in question is mostly caused by irregularities or inconsistencies with the new launcher that you are using to update. It happens that for some reason, the new Minecraft launcher usually struggles to fetch files from the internet in order to update the game.
It has been found that there might be a bug in the launcher which affects the file downloading abilities of the old Minecraft Launcher.
Also, it has been seen that Minecraft launcher update could get worse mostly when the internet connection that you are using is slow.
If you find that this error is troubling you too much too while fetching for updates through the Minecraft launcher, it is advisable that you try downloading the Minecraft executable from the developer website directly. This is much better instead of you waiting for the launcher to do the job for you.
B. Disruptions from third-party security applications:
We also found out that some of the third-party security solutions that you might have installed on your PC, especially antivirus, could block some of the processes that should be used by games during updates and could even disrupt their operations.
There are some malware protection utilities that go an extra step and stop the game applications from starting. They can even disable some important components that the game relies on to function.
The two causes are the common reasons why you will face a lot of problems while updating the Minecraft game application. However, the list of all the possible causes of the Minecraft is very long.
You will learn about some other issues and events that could cause this error on Windows 10 computers as you go through this guide.
How to fix the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher error on a Windows 10 PC
Before you jump or skip through to other fixes that are listed in this piece, we recommend that you should start with the first solution listed on the list and proceed downwards.
If one solution fails to resolve the problem in your case, then move to the second fix and continue to work your way through the solutions in the order they appear (if the need arises).
Solution 1: Repair Minecraft:
Most times, when an app runs into an error while performing a process when an operation fails, it means that some of its files could likely be corrupt or maybe they might have been broken them.
When that is the case, you will have to repair the files and try to get them back to their normal state.
This process is not difficult or technical as you might think. Windows has an option that allows you to do a repair of files for any programs or applications that are installed on it.
If the game is displaying the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher notification because its files are corrupted or broken then this fix will solve it. After repairing the game files, the update process is likely to run perfectly ok.
Here are the instructions you must follow to repair Minecraft:
- First of all press and hold down the Windows key + R buttons on your PC’s keyboard to open the Run app.
- Now type appwiz.cpl into the Run dialog box and then hit Enter from the keyboard. You will then be taken to the Uninstall a program screen in the Control Panel app.
- Browse through the list of the installed applications and then locate Minecraft
- Right-click on the Minecraft app and from the list of options there, you select Repair. You will then see the Minecraft installer or installation wizard.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions in order to repair Minecraft
- After the repair process is complete, we close all apps that are currently running on your PC and then restart your computer.
- Finally, run the Minecraft game and check to see if the update process can now pull through.
Solution 2: Download Minecraft directly from Minecraft’s website:
If the steps did not solve the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher error er then you will have to download a new Minecraft app from the official Minecraft’s website and hopefully, you will be able to get on with your game.
A good number of users have managed to fix this issue by re-downloading it. If you manage to download the game and install it once more then there will be no need to worry if your internet is slow or something is broken in the update components.
Well, you will have to do is simply download a specific file from the website. Afterward, run the package, and then install Minecraft.
The instructions below cover everything that you need to do, follow them closely:
- First of all, open your web browser preferably Google
- Once the browser window fires up, type the following in the search bar: Minecraft Windows download and hit Enter.
- When you get the results on the Google Search results page, click on the first entry. Usually Download Minecraft: Java Edition | Minecraft. Doing this will direct you to the Download Minecraft page for Windows.
- Next click on the Try an alternative download link. This will redirect you to the Alternative Download Options for Minecraft: Java Edition page.
- Locate Windows (alternative) under Platform and then click on the Minecraft.exe link beside it.
- Be patient and then wait for your browser to fetch the package from Minecraft servers.
- When the download is complete, run the downloaded file as an administrator. Now follow the on-screen instructions to perform the necessary installation tasks.
- After you are done with the installation, the issue you were facing will have been fixed.
- Now run Minecraft game and enjoy it.
What should you do if the problem was not resolved
If that is the case, you now have to delete Minecraft’s old files.
At this point, you need a fresh start. By a fresh start, I simply mean that Minecraft must no longer be given permission to read data from broken or faulty packages.
To do so, continue with the steps below:
- Hit the Windows + R buttons on the keyboard in order to open the run dialog box. Alternatively, you can do this by right-clicking on your taskbar to see the list of options available and then choosing Run.
- Type this %Appdata% command in the Run box and then hit enter from your keyboard or simply click on the Ok button: Running this command will take you to the Appdata directory in a File Explorer window.
- Now, locate the Minecraft folder, and then click on it to get it highlighted.
- Right-click on the Minecraft folder and then select Delete. Windows will now remove the unwanted files. When this is done, close the file explorer window
- Now, head back to your Downloads folder or where your browser saves the items you download.
- Locate the Minecraft.exe package that you just downloaded and then click or double-click on it in order to run it.
- Follow the appropriate instructions to perform the tasks.
- After everything is done, you have to open Minecraft to see if things are now fine.
If the issues that trigger the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher error appear again, restart your computer and then run the downloaded Minecraft executable again.
Solution 3: Disable your antivirus:
Well, if you are running any antivirus software on your PC as your computer’s main protection utility, then you this where you should begin your work. You should disable the antivirus and see if you can fix this issue.
We said that there is a credible link between the antivirus and the issues that cause the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher error.
All the troubles you are going through with the Minecraft game application could be down to your antivirus overreaching by disrupting or interfering with Minecraft processes or components.
If you have never been told this then let us be the first to tell you. Antivirus software is hardly perfect.
Antivirus might have misconstrued or wrongly labeled Minecraft to be a malicious or harmful application. If this was done by a third-party antivirus you have on your PC, then it explains what it made against the game’s interests.
Some users have reported that antivirus blocks Minecraft’s connection to Mojang servers.
Well, to know the truth, you will need to disable your antivirus and test if things will work.
Thankfully, almost all antivirus vendors usually provide you with the means or options through which you can get to disable the security programs.
Follow these instructions to disable your antivirus:
- Hit the Windows button on the keyboard and the search for your antivirus.
- Open the antivirus software.
- Now navigate through to its settings menu sometimes called control center or options pane.
- Locate the option that allows you to disable your antivirus. If variants of the disable option exist – such as Disable for 10 minutes, Disable until computer is restarted, Disable permanently, and so on – then you will do well to select the Disable permanently option (for the best results).
If you may be the antivirus does not have the options which allow you to disable your antivirus, you will have to check for options that will at least force it to limit its activities. You can also change the parameters for the most important functions. Just turn off such options and parameters. In general, you must do what you can to reduce your antivirus’ capabilities for the time being.
- After you have the changes, save those changes
- Now close Minecraft and all the components that depend on it. To do this you will have to launch the Task Manager app by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc and then end all the running programs.
- Afterward, run Minecraft to see if the update operations now proceed as they should (without interruptions or setbacks).
If everything goes well, then you must take the turn of events as confirmation that your antivirus played some role in causing issues for you. You will then have to decide what becomes of your antivirus.
Solution 4: Add Minecraft to the whitelist in your antivirus; Create an exception for Minecraft:
By now we hope that you already know that the antivirus you had on your computer was the one responsible for all your struggles with the Minecraft launcher update. Now that you managed to continue running the app normally after doing the above fixes or after you put down the antivirus, you now need to add the Minecraft game app to the whitelist.
This is necessary because you cannot keep the antivirus software disabled forever. This makes sense that you need to make changes in order to mitigate the effect of the fix and preferably get a permanent solution.
What you are required to do is simply add Minecraft to the whitelist provided by your antivirus. The antivirus on the computer will ignore whitelist programs by default. If you put Minecraft or other apps in the whitelist, antivirus tends to ignore their processes, components, and services. Therefore, when you put Minecraft in the whitelist, your antivirus will no longer bother or disturb it.
The steps on how you can add applications to the whitelist can vary depending on the type of antivirus solution that your PC is using. However, we will try to provide you with a concrete description that can serve as the general procedure for adding programs to whitelists.
Adding Minecraft to whitelist
The steps below should give you some ideas on how you can add the Minecraft game app to the whitelist. Even though they might differ as per the antivirus, the difference is not that big:
- Open your antivirus.
- Go to the main dashboard, options menu, or settings pane.
- Find the whitelist option. This option might be named differently in your antivirus software. Just look out for anything similar. If you see an option called exceptions list, then you must click on it.
- Now, search for Minecraft and then select it and add it to the list of whitelisted applications. If possible, you can select and specify the entire Minecraft folder in which the game installation is or the directory from which Minecraft and its components run.
- Next, save the changes that you just made to your antivirus whitelist
- You can now enable your antivirus. You can also turn on the features or functions you disabled earlier to limit your antivirus activities.
Solution 5: Unistall the antivirus
If you find that the unable to update the Minecraft native launcher error still persists even after you just added the game application to the antivirus whitelist or created an exception for it, the other option is to uninstall the antivirus.
There are situations where you cannot get some antivirus software to operate on your PC without interfering with the processes used by other apps. When this happens, whether it is the best option, your antivirus has to be removed.
Browse through the Programs and Features menu in Control Panel and then initiate the uninstall process.
When the antivirus has been removed, simply restart your PC.
Remember to find a replacement for the antivirus when you remove it because you cannot leave your computer to function without a security utility. But if you are using Windows 10, you can update the Windows Defender utility, and it functions just fine.
We suggest that you get Auslogics Anti-Malware. It is a great protection utility program that will keep your computer safe from all forms of threat. The best thing about it is that it will not have any interference with other programs’ activities. Neither will it intefear with operations on your computer.
You might come to see this application as the ideal replacement for your antivirus. Considering the issue that compelled you to get rid of your antivirus in the first place, you should use it.
Solution 6: Run the program compatibility troubleshooter:
Windows usually come with a compatibility troubleshooter that you can run for every application. Using this feature, you can get to fix many problems that you might encounter while using your computer. Moreso issues with the launch.
The troubleshooter works the same way the standard troubleshooters in Windows function.
First, it will diagnose the problem and identify its source. Afterward, it moves on to apply some known solutions. It even suggests some procedures that you can follow to resolve the issue.
In this fix, you will run the compatibility troubleshooter program for Minecraft.
These instructions below cover everything that you need to do here:
- Tap the Windows logo button on your PC’s keyboard to get to the Windows Start menu. Then type Minecraft into the text box
- Once Minecraft Launcher (App) emerges right-click on it to see the list of available options.
- Now Select Open file location and then you will be directed to the Minecraft directory in a File Explorer window.
- Go through the items listed there and locate the Minecraft Launcher file. Right-click on it, and from the list of options that show up, select Troubleshoot compatibility.
- In the compatibility troubleshooter window, follow the on-screen instructions in order to perform the troubleshooting tasks.
- Click on Use the recommended compatibility setting. However, if you happen to be knowing the preferred compatibility settings for Minecraft Launcher simply specify the settings yourself.
If everything goes well, you will end with a fix to the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher error. If it is unsuccessful, the troubleshooter will advise you to execute a specific operation to resolve the problem.
Solution 7: Reinstall Minecraft:
We are assuming that the Minecraft application on your PC is permanently broken. Therefore, in this fix, the only solution is to reinstall it.
First of all, you will have to remove or uninstall the Minecraft application completely. After that, perform a clean install of the game.
Follow these instructions:
- Press and hold Windows key + R on the keyboard to open the run dialog box
- Type appwiz.cpl into the text box there and then click on the OK button. You will then be directed to the Uninstall or change a program screen in the Control Panel application.
- Now, locate Minecraft, right-click on it, and then select Uninstall. This will open the uninstaller or uninstallation wizard window for Minecraft
- Follow the on-screen instructions in order to remove Minecraft.
- Now, again hit the Windows button + R to open the Run app.
- Type in this command %Appdata% and then hit Enter to run the code.
- Now locate the Minecraft folder and then delete it.
- Close all the programs you had opened and then restart your computer.
- Open your preferred web browser app and then go to Minecraft’s website or download page.
- Download the Minecraft installer for the latest version of the game and run the downloaded package.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install Minecraft.
- Run the installed program to confirm that the Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher error no longer comes up.
Well, I believe that by now, you have managed to fix the problem. If not, you can try to update some outdated drivers using the Driver Easy tool and all will be well.
Also, if you feel that you skipped a process from our instructions, you can always start again, and eventually; you will be able to fix unable to update the Minecraft native launcher.