If you asked me the importance of Windows updates, I would tell you that they are specifically supposed to improve and make advancement on the operating system’s performance. However, there are cases whereby the same updates cause or trigger issues that affect user experience. For example, when the Microsoft released the Windows 10 KB4023057 update patch, many users complained the update started slowing down their PCs after they installed it. This is because it appears, the Sedlauncher.exe program occupies much of the disk space. Hence the Sedlauncher high disk usage issue.
When a program is consuming your RAM, it can be frustrating. That is the case with the Sedlauncher.exe since it leaves little memory for running other tasks like opening a webpage or playing a video.
When you are left with little memory that has to be shared by more than one program, it will be difficult to multitask, and you will not see any use of that particular PC. To avoid such a scenario, you must teach yourself how you can fix the Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue on Windows 10.
Microsoft said that the Windows 10 KB4023057 update patch would be responsible for enhancing the service components’ reliability. The Windows 10 KB4023057 patch offers reliability improvements only for the following versions of the Windows 10 operating system:
Several program files are usually bundled with the KB4023057 update patch. One of those program files is Sedlauncher.exe which is supposed to make sure that the entire update process for the operating system runs smoothly and successfully. This is so that you can be able to install any of the latest Windows 10 version without having to worry about unexpected errors.
Understanding the Sedlauncher.exe
Sedlauncher.exe is simply a component of Windows Remediation Service. It is responsible for protecting and improving the speed of the update process of Windows 10. It is also important to note that this program file is digitally signed. This means that the Sedlauncher.exe is not a virus that will cause problems to your operating system. Even though it is is not a virus, on the other hand, you might want to know how to decrease the CPU usage of the Sedlauncher.exe.
If you make an inquiry on Google about “what Sedlauncher is” you will find that the “SedSvc.exe” and “SedLauncher.exe” are programs in the Task Manager when downloading and installing Windows update features.
This program can be found in the “Rempel” folder inside Program Files. The service and the launcher of Sedlauncher are associated with the Windows Remediation Service that is responsible for installing Windows 10’s update features. These features often contain some patches.
If maybe you want to have Windows 10 updates that have the most recent or latest security patches and maybe additional features, you can simply use this service and launcher. Well, if you don’t want the new patches or features of Sedlauncher, you can disable it.
Should Sedlauncher.exe be Stopped?
Well, this is a tricky question because usually, the answer to it will entirely depend on your (the users) needs. It is therefore difficult to tell if it should be enabled or not because maybe you want to have the latest security patch and want the additional features that a certain update brings. If that is the case, then you should not stop this service or launcher. Simply enable it and let it download and install the latest feature update. However, for those users who do not want or do not care about the new security patches or features, the update can easily be stopped by disabling it.
How to Resolve the Sedlauncher High Disk Usage Issue on Windows 10
The Sedlauncher.exe being an important and essential component of the KB4023057 update patch it plays a crucial role in updating Windows 10. However, if you find out that this service is using too much CPU, you might want to disable it temporarily. Many tech-savvy guys believe that what causes this problem is the KB4023057 components trying to access the Internet.
Since the Sedlauncher.exe is a part of the Windows Remediation Service, you should learn how to decrease the CPU usage of the Sedlauncher.exe, and you also need to know how to switch off the Windows Remediation Service.
But don’t worry, I will show you the steps for handling everything.
Besides the Sedlauncher high disk usage that occurs when downloading and installing a huge feature update, it can also arise if the program is facing a problem.
The Sedlauncher high disk usage problem will impact the speed of the computer so let’s fix it.
Solution 1: Disable the Sedlauncher.exe via the Task Manager
One of the ways to stop the Sedlauncher.exe from using your memory is simply to end the process via the Task Manager.
Here are the steps:
- First of all, go to your taskbar, then right-click the Windows icon.
- Select Task Manager from the list of options that will be displayed.
- Once you open the Task Manager, scroll down until you see the Windows Remediation Service.
- Right-click on the Windows Remediation Service and then click End Task.
- Restart your computer to fo changes you just made to take effect.
Since you disabled the Windows Remediation Service, program files including the Sedlauncher.exe, Rempl.exe, Sedsvc.exe, and WaaSMedic.exe will not function. As a result, you will notice an improvement in your computer’s performance.
Solution 2: Turning off the Sedlauncher.exe via the Services Utility
The Windows Service management tool is just another option for disabling the Sedlauncher.exe.
To begin, follow the instructions below.
- Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard all at once to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Type “services.msc” (with no quotes) inside the Run dialogue box.
- Now scroll down until you can be able to see the Windows Remediation Service when the Services utility window opens up.
- Right-click it on Remediation Service and then select Properties.
- Afterwards, head over to the General tab.
- Beside Startup Type, click the drop-down list and then from the list, choose Disabled.
- Find the Service Status section and then click Stop.
- Now click OK and Apply to save the changes you just made.
- Note: If you’re also experiencing the WaaSMedic.exe high CPU usage issue, you can also use the Services utility to fix it. Simply look for the Windows Update Medic Service, then use the same steps you followed for disabling the Windows Remediation Service.
- Restart your computer and then check if the Sedlauncher.exe issue persists.
Solution 3: Using Anti-Virus Programs to Block the Sedlauncher.exe
The Sedlauncher.exe plays a crucial role in the KB4023057 update patch. But to avoid any future problems, you should disable it once you’ve installed that patch. Disabling that program file will help you to prevent it from consuming too much CPU.
Therefore, one of the options that have worked well for several users who were experiencing this problem is to use your Firewall or third-party anti-virus software.
This method is very efficient because the Sedlauncher.exe will not be able to go through your Firewall. It will also not be able to run and use your CPU.
Solution 4: Performing a System Restore
A system restore is one of the best things that Windows 10 allows you to use. It is a very nice feature because, with it, you can bring your operating system back to an error-free, functional version. System restore uses a restore point that was initially created by Windows or by you to roll back any changes that were made in the system.
That said, you can also use a previous restore point to fix the Sedlauncher high disk usage issue.
While performing this process, don’t worry about losing your personal files or data. This is because the system restore will only affect the system files.
Here are the steps you can follow to roll back changes on your PC:
- Press Windows Key + S On your keyboard in order to launch the search box.
- Now type “Restore” (without quotes) inside the Search box.
- From the results that will be generated, select create a Restore Point.
- Now, click on the System Restore button and then click Next to begin.
- Look at the timestamps of the restore points. Select an option wherein the issue did not exist.
- Click Next to start the system restore process.
Solution 5: Delete the Windows Task Scheduler
Usually, the downloading and installing processes of the Sedlauncher are scheduled by Windows Task Scheduler. You can, therefore, solve the Sedlauncher high disk usage issue by deleting the scheduler.
To do this:
- Press Win + R keys on the keyboard to open the Run prompt.
- Now type taskschd.msc in the Run dialogue box and then hit Enter.
- Next, double-click the Task Scheduler Library in the left pane Inside the Task Scheduler window.
- Now navigate to the following path Microsoft>Windows>Rempl.
- Right-click the Rempl folder and select the Shell task on the right.
- Press Delete key and click on Yes in the prompt to confirm the action.
That is it. Everything should work just fine after you restart your computer.
The above solutions should be able to help you fix the Sedlauncher high CPU usage issue quickly. However, if it happens that you have tried all of them and still your computer is slow, then something else is causing the problem.
For that reason, we recommend that you use Auslogics BoostSpeed.
Auslogics BoostSpeed will perform a comprehensive checkup of your entire system when you download and install it. This app looks for speed-reducing issues and junk files and then uses precise techniques in identifying problems on Windows 10 computers. Using this software will help you to get rid of any of the issues that are slowing down your PC safely. You will be able to do this with no risk of damaging your operating system.
The Auslogics BoostSpeed is so powerful in cleaning such that it will effectively sweep out all kinds of PC junk. This will include all the browser cache, unused error logs, and leftover Windows Update files.
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.