Games are there to entertain and refresh our minds. They are also designed to bring that thrill in you and also pass time with a fantasy simulation. Playing games can also be one thing to relieve you from the stress and all the pain you went through during the day. One of the games that can do that is the famous league of legends. However, you might just run into “there was a problem patching League of Legends error” which appears when the game goes into an indefinite loop.
In this article, I will show you some of the easiest ways to fix this error.
Game developers have designed patches for several games such that you don’t have to re-download an entire game package in case it is updated. Also, the patching technology helps game developers to design updates of specific components of the game and release them instead of having to do one for the whole game. This technology has turned out to be a life-saver for many gamers.
League of Legends developers have joined other popular online game in releasing new patches for the game. The patches often change some things, but they also some come with bug fixes to resolve some previous problems that were being encountered in the game.
The problem though with game of legends patches is that, the game restarts, and then it shows the same patch when the patching process is complete. This problem continues in a loop that never ends.
If you happen to be one of those users who are experiencing this issue then you can try to apply the fixes describe in this piece but before that:
What causes the ‘League of Legends’ patching loop?
With regards to user reports and our findings of the matter, there were several things which could trigger this problem.
Some of the causes are but not limited to:
- The patch that is being installed usually does not get registered properly into the game’s directory. This causes the league of legends game to patch again and again forcing the game to go into an error state
- You should realize that even games do require DNS services for them to establish a connection. This error could also be triggered if the league of legends game is having problems connecting to the DNS server.
- The launcher could either be incomplete or corrupt. If the launcher is corrupt and you are trying to patch the game, you will run into there was a problem patching league of legends loop. This often happens to quite different games.
Before we start with any of the solutions, please make sure that you have a stable and active internet connection. Also, make sure that you have administrator privileges on your computer.
Method 1: Reset Winsock
A problem with the internet connection could sometimes cause this issue to appear. This is because there could be something that is preventing the launcher functioning properly and also might prevent it from downloading the proper patches from the game server.
If that is the case, there is one way of fixing this problem. This method involves resetting the Winsockets using the command prompt.
- First of all, hit the windows button on your keyboard and then type the word CMD.
- Right-click on the first result and then open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Once the command prompt window opens, simply copy the command netsh winsock reset , paste it in the CMD window using Ctrl + V and then hit Enter on the keyboard in order to run it
- Now close the Command Prompt, restart your device and then launch League of Legends. The patching loop problem has been fixed
Method 2: Run League of Legends as Administrator
This is a quick workaround to fix this problem. Even though it seems to be a very basic and an ordinary fix, it could help you to fix there was a problem patching league of legends loop.
See, many of us don’t have a habit of running applications as an administrator and as usual, that is the case with league of legends. One does not have to run the league of legends using administrator permissions for it to run. This is because the game was granted those administrator permissions automatically when you first installed the game on your Windows computer.
However, you can as well try and force the administrator permissions in order to be able to patch the game correctly.
To do so;
- Make sure that you have closed the Riot Games Launcher
- Next, navigate to your Windows Desktop
- Right-click on the League of Legends game shortcut and then select the Run as Administrator option from the list of options displayed.
- Afterward, you can now apply the patch and then check to see if the loop problem has been fixed
Method 3: Repair Game Files
Do you often get the there was a problem patching league of legends loop when trying to patch your game? Does the patching loop issue continue to appear without an end? Well, if that is what you are facing then maybe you have some corrupted patch files that the game is not able to install correctly.
In order to fix this annoying problem, League of Legends game has a repair utility like Steam to fix your files.
- First things first, launch League of Legends
- Click on the Settings button. This should be found in the upper-right section of the window.
- In the menu that appears, click on Repair
- From here, you only need to be patient and wait until League of Legends fixes all the game files. This will include the patch files that you have just downloaded on your computer. This process could take some time, therefore, make sure that you are on a stable power connection.
- Once it is done, you can now try once again to apply the patch and see if the loop issue has been fixed.
Method 4: Disable Antivirus
If you happen to be having any third-party antivirus software installed on your computer then maybe that is the reason why the patching loop problem appears on your computer.
Many of us don’t know that third-party antivirus software could cause problems on the computer even though they protect your PC against malware and virus.
As you may know, the antivirus is the one that protects you from malicious files. Having given such powerful responsibilities, it is the one that could be deleting or disabling some data in the patch file that you want to install.
Therefore, to fix this the loop that league of legends has gotten in to, you first need to fix this antivirus conflict. You do this by disabling it temporarily while you apply the patch then enable it later on. However, test the game before enabling the antivirus once again. If there is no error, enable it.
If by any chance the error shows up again after enabling the third-party antivirus, you can disable it or uninstall it completely. This does not mean that you will be prone to malware. You can enable Windows defender to take control of the same.
Here are the steps
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to and then from the list of options displayed, select task manager then find the antivirus from the list of running apps. You can also enter the task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Alternatively, go to the taskbar and then right-click on the antivirus icon
- From the menu that opens, click on Shield controls and choose the Disable protection for 1-hour option. This time will give League of Legends enough time to apply the patch correctly
- When done, you can re-launch League of Legends and then check to see if you were able to fix there was a problem patching league of legends loop.
Method 5: Disable Firewall
If you are still experiencing the loop problem while you are trying to patch league of legends, you can also try to disable the Windows Firewall.
You have to disable the firewall because it might be doing just what the third-party antivirus was doing -blocking the patch from being applied correctly.
To disable the firewall, follow these quick steps:
- Hit the windows button on your keyboard and then search for Control Panel.
- Open the Control Panel and then navigate to the System and Security section.
- Now click on Windows Defender Firewall
- On the left side menu, you click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option.
- From the window that fires up, checkmark the Turn off Windows Firewall off the checkbox in private and public networks.
- Then click on OK in order to save the changes
- Restart your PC
Now launch the league of legends game and then apply the patch once again in order to check if the issue has been fixed
Method 6: Change DNS
As we said earlier, DNS could heavily impact on the failure of the league of legends patch to install correctly.
Changing the DNS to fix the patching loop has been reported on most league of legends forums and it has turned out to be a fix for several users.
If you have been facing this problem, you can try fixing it using the following steps:
- Right-click on the Network icon located in the taskbar. This should work on Windows 10.
- After that, a menu will pop up, now click on Open Network & Internet settings
- Scroll down and then click on the Change adapter options button
- Now, you should be able to see all your network adapters from this screen.
- Right-click on the network adapter that your PC uses and then select the Properties option
- While you are in the Properties window, double click on the line Internet Protocol Version 4
- Now, checkmark the option Use the following DNS server addresses. This is found in the bottom section of the window. Now copy the following numbers: 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
- Click on OK to apply the changes and then restart the device or your computer
The above numbers belong to the Google Public DNS, but you can use another if you want. Apply the patch on league of legends and then verify that the loop has been solved
Method 7: Disabling in-game overlays
In-game overlays are usually featured by different software which allows you to access certain parts of particular software functionality without having to alt-tab out of the game.
This feature usually makes it easier for game users to access diverse functionalities.
Software that accompanies games includes; NVIDIA GeForce experience or Discord provide in-game overlays.
Sometimes it might happen that these overlays are one of the causes that are interfering with the patching process.
Therefore, trying to disable the overlays and then patching league of legends again could just fix the problem in question.
In this fix, I will show you how to disable the overlay of Discord. You can also use the same for other software that has in-game overlay enabled.
To do this first of all;
- Start the Discord and then open its User Settings.
- Select the Overlay option from the left navigation tab and then uncheck the Enable in-game overlay option
- Now restart your PC completely so that the changes you just made are implemented and later try patching League of Legends again when the computer powers on.
Method 8: Updating League of Legends
The league of legends software developers was notified of the error and the already took notice of this issue. Since it was reported by users, they have worked on fixes and managed to release subsequent updates to fix the error at hand.
Therefore, if you are still holding back or using the old version of the league of legends or maybe not installing the latest updates, we suggest that you do so right away.
To update the game, simply open it and then update it when you are prompted to install the update.
The game will automatically download the patch and after installing, restart it. Make sure that you launch the league of legends launcher with administrator privileges.
I hope that this article has helped you to troubleshoot and also fix the patching loop issue on League of Legends “there was a problem patching league of legends loop.” I believe that you are now able to continue playing with your friends or online without problems.
Some other tips which you can try in order to solve the patching error are:
- Running the League of Legends launcher as an administrator.
- When the client states ‘We have restored….’ on the initial error message, instead of pressing okay, press Alt + F4. Now launch the game again.
- End all tasks (type taskmgr after pressing Windows + R) of League of Legends and launch the launcher again using administrator privileges.
If you need more help you can contact us using the comments below and we will revert shortly.