Have you heard of the Amazon Prime Video App for Windows? If you haven’t then trust me, you are missing out on a lot. If you are not using the famous Netflix then, by all means, you should have Amazon Prime Video instead. The Prime Video application for windows is just part of the Amazon Prime package. However, if you do not have Prime, you can go ahead and buy Prime Video yourself as a standalone subscription.
Amazon provides you with many options to download Amazon Prime videos to an iOS device or Android mobile device. The same way, we’d expect that they could have a way that you can achieve the same functions for Windows, macOS and maybe even Linux devices but unfortunately, this is not the case.
The reason is that there is no legal way you can use to download Amazon Prime videos directly to your computer.
As usual, you can easily stream videos from Amazon. But there is no way to download and watch them later.
The ability to download the video to your desktop has become close to impossible because of the Digital Rights Management (DRM). It is a rights management methodology that Amazon uses to protect its entire media downloads. The most annoying part is that even purchased Amazon videos cannot be downloaded to a computer.
Should you just give up?
There is absolutely no reason to phase out the need to download Amazon videos.
This is because Amazon has launched a new web application for its purchasing portal and a music application for Windows 10.
With the power of progressive web applications, the Amazon Prime video application can also be installed on Windows 10.
How to Install Amazon Prime Video App on Windows 10
The Amazon Prime video application can be installed and also used in the best possible way on Windows 10. However, this is only possible when you are using one browser.
Guess which one is it……
No, you got it wrong. It is not Chrome, and neither is it Firefox.
This is only possible if you are using the new Microsoft Edge Browser based on Chromium.
To Install Amazon Prime Video App on Windows 10, follow the steps below:
- Open the Amazon Prime Video website using the new Microsoft Edge chrome-based browser.
- When the website opens, click on the menu button found in the upper right corner usually marked with three horizontal dots.
- Select Applications and then choose the Install this page as an application.
- It will install the Amazon Prime Video website as an application with a XAML shell on your Windows 10 computer.
- You will also be able to find an entry for this app under the All Applications list in your Start menu. You can also create a desktop shortcut on your desktop if necessary, or perhaps pin it on the taskbar or pin a living tile.
- Also, please note that this application, unlike its Android and iOS counterparts, does not work offline.
That is the default procedure for installing a website as a progressive web application in the new Microsoft Edge Chromium-based browser.
Over to You
Amazon Prime’s exclusive shows are usually broadcast on a single device for 30 days before you need to reconnect to the servers to update the license, while new movies from major studios can only last a week before you need to reconnect to the company’s servers. I just thought you should know.