Spotify is probably the most popular online music streaming service. Spotify error code 4 appears to some users. Every time they launch the Spotify, it will give the error code 4. Nothing will be playable. The error message says “No internet connection detected. Spotify will automatically try to reconnect when it detects an internet connection (error code: 4).”
Causes of Spotify Error Code 4
Spotify error code 4 is mainly caused by improper Internet connection settings. Spotify client connection settings such as the Proxy type can also cause the error.
Another reason is that antivirus applications may block the Spotify client from connecting to the Internet.
How to Fix Spotify Error Code 4?
Spotify Error Code 4 can be fixed by different methods. Some of the fixes are described below.
1. Check the Internet Connection
Sometimes, your internet connection may not be working. This causes the Spotify to give error code 4. To avoid this problem, do the following.
- Make sure that you are able to browse any web site that you normally browse. e.g. Go to google web site and search for anything which interests you. If you are able to get the search results, it means that your internet connection is working.
- Now, check if the Spotify error code 4 is fixed or it still persists.
2. Use a Different DNS
Internet connection problems cause the the Spotify servers or its service to display error code 4. By changing the default DNS settings to “Google Public DNS”, the ones provided by Google, you can fix this issue in many cases. This is explained below.
- Press the Windows and R keys together.
- Type “ncpa.cpl” (without the quotation marks) in the box.
- Click OK. This opens the “Network Connections”.
- Double-click on your active Network Adapter.
- Now, click on the “Properties” button.
- Click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”.
- Click the Properties button, below.
- Go to the “General” tab.
- Click on the “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- Set “Preferred DNS server” to be 220.127.116.11 and the “Alternate DNS server” to be 18.104.22.168.
- Check “Validate settings upon exit” option.
- Click “OK”
- Check to see if the Spotify error code 4 issue is resolved or not.
3. Change the Spotify Proxy Type
Changing the proxy type inside the Spotify settings menu can fix the error code 4 problems in many cases. The option to be used is either “HTTPS” or “Auto-Detect”. Make sure that you try other menu options from the list also, if the previously mentioned ones are not helpful in resolving the error.
- Open the Spotify app.
- Open the Settings page from the failed login page.
- Under the Proxy type option, click on the drop-down menu.
- Choose “HTTPS”. Click on “UPDATE PROXY”.
- Check if the error is fixed or not.
- if the error is not fixed, repeat step 4 and step 5 with other values from the drop-down list. Try with “Auto-Detect” first. If the error is still there, try other menu options from the drop-down menu, one by one.
4. Add Spotify to Antivirus Exceptions
Antivirus application may sometimes block the Spotify from connecting to the Internet. Adding the Spotify to the antivirus’s exception list may fix the issue in such cases.
To add the Spotify executable as the exception in the antivirus application, do the following.
- Open the antivirus application by double-clicking on its icon at the system tray or by searching for the antivirus program in the Start menu.
- Go to the “Exception setting”. (Its location varies across various antivirus applications. Please check the documentation if required). The location to add the exceptions for some of the popular antivirus apps are listed below.
- For Avast antivirus program, go to Home -> Settings -> General -> Exclusions.
- For Kaspersky Internet Security software, go to Home -> Settings -> Additional -> Threats and Exclusions -> Exclusions -> Specify Trusted Applications -> Add.
- If you are using the AVG antivirus program, go to Home -> Settings -> Components -> Web Shield -> Exceptions.
- Add the the Spotify executable file in the exceptions box that will appear once you go to the respective exceptions menu option. To add the executable file, you can browse the windows folders and then select the appropriate file.
- Apply the changes.
- Close the antivirus program exception settings menu.
- Check if the Spotify error code 4 problem is fixed or not.
5. Uninstall the Antivirus Software
In some rare cases, you may need to uninstall the antivirus software to fix the error 4 problems with the Spotify. This can be done as explained below.
- Type “Add or remove programs” into the search bar within the taskbar.
- Click on “Add or remove programs”.
- Click on the antivirus program name you have installed on your computer or laptop.
- Now, click on the “Uninstall”.
- Again click on the “Uninstall” button to confirm.
- Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation.
- Close the add or remove programs window.
- Restart the computer or laptop.
- Check if the Spotify error code 4 issue is fixed or not.
- If the error is fixed, it means that your current antivirus program is having conflict or compatibility issues with the Spotify app. You need to install any other antivirus program which does not create conflict your the Spotify, to prevent any possible malware attacks on your computer or laptop.
Conclusion: Spotify error code 4 appears to some users of the Spotify music app. There can be different reasons for this error. This error can be fixed by any of the methods described below.
The simplest fix is to ensure that your internet connection is working. This can be checked by browsing some other web sites. Using a different DNS like the one from Google can also fix the error in many a cases. Changing the Spotify proxy type can fix the error in a large number of cases. By adding the Spotify to the exception list of the antivirus program, the error code 4 can be avoided in some cases. By uninstalling the antivirus software sometimes the Spotify error can be fixed. You then need to install any other antivirus program or windows firewall to make sure that your computer or laptop is safe from malware infections.