With the increasing number of android app developers, we have a long list of chatting apps for android at our disposal. However, while they make it to stay connected, the number of available applications can be overwhelming.
Other applications don’t just match your needs and therefore, before you download any app, you want to make sure that it will not just be adding more clutter to your android device.
It is important to ask yourself these important questions before you hit that download and install button:
- How about sending and receiving files?
- Is it free to use or has paid features?
- Can you use it on your desktop?
- If the application contain annoying ads?
- Does the application allow you to video and voice chat?
- Does it give you the ability to create group chats?
- How secure will your discussions be?
Often whether you have job issues or not, you will need to keep in touch with clients, friends, and family and also other people in your circle from all across the world. Since they exist, you will find yourself using about every major chat app available.
However, people’s needs are different and therefore the type of apps they use might differ from those you personally use. While your needs may be different, the ability to stay connected to those important to you is fundamentally the same.
That said; let’s take a look at the top five chatting apps for android this year.
I believe that you have already heard of the famous WhatsApp. For good reason this application lets you make free voice calls and video calls. You can also send instant messages, all via an intuitive interface on all Android devices.
You can use WhatsApp Web on any browser, or even download a desktop version for both Windows and Mac operating systems.
It has been found that WhatsApp has more users that any other chatting app on the globe. Therefore, there’s a high possibility that your friends and business associates already have the app installed and active.
If you have someone saved as a contact on your phonebook, you’ll automatically be connected to them via the app. This will be so if they also have an active account.
Under what circumstances can you choose WhatsApp?
Well choose WhatsApp When…
- You have someone on your contact list whom you often enjoy talking to WhatsApp also allows you to create a shortcut to conversations directly from your home screen if you are using an Android device. These shortcuts conversations can be with a person or group of your choice.
- When you need to connect with a large group of people. Using the broadcast feature, one can send a single message and reach up to 256 people simultaneously.
- You are a fan of group chats. If you are in group chats that always disturb you, WhatsApp allows you to mute them for eight hours, one week, or even up to a year.
- You’re living or doing business in Saudi Arabia, where WhatsApp is used by 73% of the population!
|Supported Platforms||Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS|
|Associated Costs||Free, other than the cost of using data when not connected to WiFi|
|Popular in…||Mexico, Brazil, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Uruguay, Paraguay, Saudi Arabia, India, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Finland, Spain, United Kingdom, Morocco, Indonesia, Germany, Yemen, Oman, Israel, Chad, South Africa, Nigeria, Niger, Tanzania|
Facebook is another app that is well known by even grade three students. It is not only the largest social network on the globe but also the second biggest messaging app in regards to of monthly active users.
Statistics say that in the United States, Facebook Messenger’s 105 million users make it the most used chat app.
Using Facebook Messenger, one can connect for free with anyone in the world who has a Facebook account. The funny thing is that you do not have to be a Facebook user for you to use the application – Simply download the messenger app, create a Messenger account and get rolling.
This application has most features similar to WhatsApp. Facebook Messenger lets you send text message, voice call, or video call and also send and receive files to and from anyone on the same messaging system.
Here is another cool feature; you can call someone’s PC from your phone and vice versa. This means that you can always stay in touch with anyone in spite of of which device you’re using.
When should you use the facebook messenger app
Choose Facebook Messenger When…
- You want a fun way to connect with your friends and contacts. Facebook messenger as well has several games available where you can challenge your friends, or maybe play alone if you are more of the solo type.
- You can also choose to use facebook messenger app if you want to share recipes, news updates, flight details or other details. This has been made easy using other integrated third-party app extensions that can be used with facebook messenger.
- Also if you like new technology. Using Facebook’s code scanning feature provided, you can add more Messenger users by simply scanning their unique codes.
|Supported Platforms||Android, iOS, Windows 10, there’s also an unofficial version for macOS named Messenger for Mac|
|Associated Costs||Free, other than the cost of using data when not connected to WiFi|
|Popular in…||United States, Canada, Algeria, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, Australia, Madagascar, Mongolia, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Portugal, Ireland|
Line has made quite popular in East Asia. This application has more than 200 million users and it is chat app of choice for most people in Thailand, Japan and Taiwan.
Line may not be very popular as other chatting apps for android like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger but it is a chatting application with a wide range of features which includes several value-adding functions.
These features are:
- Line Games. These are games which you can play with your friends
- Line Pay, you can use this feature for sending and receiving money from friends
- Line Taxi, this feature gives you the ability to call a cab for pick up services
- Finally the Line Today functionality which provides you with prompt today’s top news.
Choose Line When…
- You’re an emoticon person then Line application has a number of stickers that you cannot find on other chatting apps.
- If you like sending high-quality or professional photos. Line allows you to share your photos in full without having to tamper with the image resolution. This is an option that most chat apps don’t provide to users. If at all you don’t want to send images as they are and feel that you’d rather save data, you have an option to send the images in a lower resolution version.
- Well, do you want a chatting app which has some in-built social media functionality? Line provides you with a fanatical timeline from which you can post updates, share posts and thoughts for your contacts to see.
|Supported Platforms||Android, iOS, Windows, macOS|
|Associated Costs||Free to voice or video message other Line users, other than the cost of using data when not connected to WiFi. There are costs associated with some of Line’s premium features, such as dialing a landline and non-Line members (costs depend on location)|
|Popular in…||Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, Turkmenistan|
Google Hangouts is one of the focused enterprise chatting apps for android that has ever been developed. The Google Hangouts has rebranded some of its app services. It has cut it into two different business-focused applications—Hangouts Meet and Hangouts Chat.
Currently, these two apps are only available to Google Suite users. Google earlier announced that the free versions of both Meet and Chat will be made available to the general public once the Google Suite users have fully switched to these new apps.
Also, Google has decided to keep the text-based chatting app, the video-based chatting app, Google Duo, and Google Messages intact for staying in contact with your network.
Why Choose Google Hangouts
- You can choose to use this application if you are an organization and would like to carry out business meetings that constitute up to 100 participants. You can achieve this using the new function of the recently released Hangouts Meet.
- If you want to keep in touch with your customers who are not using the new Hangouts Chat app. This can be achieved by inviting those users who don’t use Hangouts into your chats.
- You can also use Google Hangouts if you want to message friends, family, and business associates directly from your Gmail inbox. Messages, video chat, or voice chat with other Gmail or Hangouts users from your browser is allowed.
- Do you want to video chat ten friends at the same time? Well, use the “classic” Hangouts ap to message up to ten users simultaneously.
|Supported Platforms||Android, iOS, Google Chrome Extension|
|Associated Costs||Free for “classic” Hangouts users. For Hangouts Meet or Hangouts Chat you currently need to be a G Suite user, which will cost you anywhere from $5 to $25 per month (although free consumer versions are promised to be released once “classic” Hangouts is officially retired)|
|Popular in…||United States|
The Viber app is also among the top chatting apps for android that you will come across.
Viber is not widely use in the west it is one of the most used chatting apps within the Eastern European market.
Just like other android applications on this list, Viber specializes in free voice chat, video chat, and instant messaging when using a WiFi connection or mobile data.
However, this application has some paid features such as Viber Out. This feature gives you the ability to call people on their landline ad even cellular phone number using Viber credit, which has to be purchased.
When to use Viber
- Well, you can choose to use Viber when you are a marketer who would like to crowd-source information in your group chats. Using the Viber’s polling feature, you can easily and quickly gather the opinions of your group members when you create custom polls.
- Also you can use it if you would like to send holiday wishes to friends and also family members by taking advantage of specialized holiday stickers that are at your disposal. You will be able to download fun holiday greetings and send them to those you love. These stickers can be found in Viber’s Sticker Market.
|Supported Platforms||Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Associated Costs||Free to voice or video message other Viber users, other than the cost of using data when not connected to WiFi. There are costs associated with some of Viber’s premium features, such as Viber Out, which allows you to dial a landline and non-Viber users|
|Costs||Viber Out, which allows you to dial a landline and non-Viber users|
|Popular in…||Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Ethiopia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Tajikistan, Moldova, Armenia|
Over To You
There’s something to be said for all of these top chatting apps for android. Several apps have almost the same features and a few have paid features as well. But which application would you choose?
To make your chat app choice even easier, we have compiled a table of factors that you should take into account before you download and install an app. Sometimes you might feel like you want to hide your apps for privacy reasons. Feel free to checkout these app hider apps for android to help you do the same.
To entirely settle on an individual app, make sure that you have a clue on where specifically your audience or friends are. Also, make sure that you entirely understand what specifically you want to do with the application in terms of socialization, fun, or business activities.
Here are some of the factors that you should be aware of for all the above chatting apps for android:
|App||Availability||Main Advantage||Main Disadvantage|
|iOS Android MacOs||Easy-to-use interface, and popular in many countries||Both parties must have the app installed|
|Facebook Messenger||iOS Android MacOs Windows||Message anyone on Facebook, even if they don’t have Messenger. You can also message those who don’t have a Facebook account as long as they have Messenger as well|
|Line||iOS Android MacOs Windows||You can use it to check the news, order a taxi, or many other functions not offered by other apps||Hardly known outside of East Asia|
|Google Hangouts||iOS Android||Great for enterprise-related chat functions, such as holding meetings||Going through major changes, adding much uncertainty to this apps future|
|Viber||iOS Android MacOs Windows Linux||Create polls in group chats to crowdsource information||Not all of its features are free|