Do you have a Wii U Gamecube adapter that suddenly stopped being detected by your OS? Well, we got you covered. The gcn adapter not detected problem is brought about after installing a Windows update like the Creators Update or the Anniversary update.
Most of the time, you will get the message, “The device cannot start. (Code 10)” if you try to inspect the device status on your PC’s Device Manager.
This problem tends to be reported across versions of Windows that is Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
If you are struggling to resolve the GCN adapter not detected error, this article will provide you with a collection of verified troubleshooting tips to help you solve the issue.
Basics first before we dive deep in.
What is a Wii U Gamecube adapter?
The Gamecube adapter is a USB Dongle that is used to connect Gamecube controllers providing for the ability to be used on a computer.
There are teams of coders who have created system calls implemented in the kernel versions of the Wii U USB GCN Adapter driver.
Why The gcn Adapter Not Detected Error
During our research, we found that there are a few things that may cause this particular error:
- Incorrect installation of the Wii U USB GCN adapter driver – Windows will sometimes break the functionality of the adapter and install a driver that might be not compatible with the Gamecube.
If you find out that this is the reason why the remedy is simple, manually install the device driver.
- Use of an Incorrect installation guide & drivers – With lots of forked versions of the same driver on the web, you might end up using one that is not stable. This is because some forked drivers of the Gamecube work better and are generally stable than others.
Enough gossiping. Let’s see how you can How to fix the GCN Adapter Not Detected error.
How to fix the GCN Adapter Not Detected error
It is recommended that you start with the first method for the best results. Alternatively, continue with the next techniques if it was not fixed.
Fix 1: Update the driver via Device Manager
Several user reports say that the GCN Adapter may not be recognized because it is lucking correct drivers.
This can be rectified by firing up the Device Manager and manually installing the correct driver.
Check out the quick guide on how to do this:
- Hit Windows key + R to open a Run box.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter to open the Device Manager window. Click on Yes If prompted by the UAC (User Account Control).
- Look for any devices named Unidentified device or marked with a yellow exclamation sign in the Device Manager.
- Please right-click on the Unidentified device and choose Update driver and click on Browse my computer for driver software from the next screen.
5. Next, click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
6. You must check the checkbox associated with Show compatible hardware. Afterward, select a driver from a list that pops up then click on Next to install it.
7. Reboot your PC and check if the Wii U USB GCN adapter will be recognized during the next startup. If not, repeat the steps above, but this time select a different driver at step 6. Repeat this procedure until you run out of the available compatible drivers.
Move down to the next fix if this method did not solve the Wii U USB GCN adapter not detected an error.
Fix 2: Use the Official GameCube Controller Adapter guide
There are many guides and driver versions of a Wii U USB Gamecube Adapter. That said, the GCN Adapter might not get detected simply because of following wrong instructions about the ideal driver version you are supposed to use.
Consider using the Dolphin’s Official GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U. We recommend this because it has the most stable Gamecube driver build.
Dolphin release regular updates which feature step-by-step installation guides. Luckily, the installation guides are available for all the major platforms that are supported. This includes Android, Windows, macOS, and Linux.
So, Try using this guide if you happened to use a different guide when setting up your Wii U USB GCN Adapter.
Fix 3: Use a system restore point
There is a chance that windows broke the functionality of your Wii U USB GCN Adapter during an update. Try to reinstall all the affected components and program files. This might automatically solve the issue.
Run a System Restore point to revert your PC to a point when the GCN Adapter was properly functioning if reinstalling components did not work.
However, this is applicable if you have a System Restore point, with a date before t the Wii U USB GCN Adapter error.
Here’s how to restore your computer to a previous state:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box.
- Type “rstrui” and hit Enter to open the System Restore wizard.
- If prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), choose Yes.
- Click Next in the first System Restore screen.
- Check the box associated with Show more restore point, select a restore point with a date before the apparition of the gcn adapter not detected error, then click Next again.
6. Hit Finish and click Yes to confirm and start the system restore process.
7. Your computer will restart and restore the older state at startup.
8. The Wii U USB GCN Adapter should be fine after the system restore.
The gcn adapter not detected error has been experienced and reported by many users. We believe that one of the above three fixes helped you to fix the error.
We believe in the power of shared information. Let us know which way solved your problem.
Do you have other ways apart from the ones discussed in this guide? Could you share them with us in the comments?