Officeclicktorun.exe is an executable program file that runs as a service called ‘Microsoft Office Click To Run Service’ in your computer or laptop in which MS Office 2013 is installed. This service is used to manage resource coordination, background streaming, and integration of Microsoft office products. It’s installed automatically on any computers with the Microsoft Office 2013 products. This file is needed when you work with any Office 2013 products like MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, etc.
What Happens if officeclicktorun.exe is infected by Malware?
If the file officeclicktorun.exe is malware-infected, it will take control of itself to cause damage to files. It may also leak personal data from your computer network. It can change your computer or laptop’s settings. Web browsers are also affected.
If your computer or web browser freezes or misbehaves, you should immediately scan the computer using an antivirus program and see if there is any malware infection.
If the computer or laptop is malware-infected, take immediate remedial actions before the malware makes further damages on your computer or laptop.
Officeclicktorun.exe Error Messages
The list of the some of the common errors related to the office clicktorun.exe file is given below.
- “Officeclicktorun.exe failed”.
- “Officeclicktorun.exe application error”.
- “Error in the application path: officeclicktorun.exe”.
- “Officeclicktorun.exe. “This program does not respond”.
- “Officeclicktorun.exe is not a valid Win32 application”.
- “Error when starting the program: officeclicktorun.exe” .
Symptoms of Officeclicktorun.exe Malware
Some of the common symptoms for the malware-infected officeclicktorun.exe file are listed below.
- It will be asking users to click on dangerous hyperlinks to solve the misbehavior of their computers.
- Redirects you to dangerous websites.
- Deactivates many genuine windows processes.
- Blocks access to legitimate programs.
Is officeclicktorun.exe Safe or a Virus?
The answer to the question of whether the officeclicktorun.exe file on your computer or laptop is a safe file or a virus-infected depends on the file’s location, its publisher’s name, etc. I will describe the details as to how to identify whether it is malware or not in the following paragraphs.
Some malware uses the filename officeclicktorun.exe to disguise themselves as an authentic file. Hence, many users think that it is the original file from Microsoft.
The location of officeclicktorun.exe is normally in C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office15ClientX64. The publisher’s name for the actual or original officeclicktorun.exe file is Microsoft. Always check the source directory and the publisher’s name, before deciding whether the officeclicktorun.exe file a malware or not.
How to Diagnose Malware Infections?
One method to diagnose malware is by using an antivirus program.
Another method to diagnose if the problems are due to any malware or not is to go for a clean booting.
How to do a Clean booting?
To do a clean booting, follow the steps given below.
- Press the Windows and R keys at the same time.
- Key in “msconfig” (without the quotation marks).
- Click on the “OK” button.
- Click the “Services” tab.
- “Hide all Microsoft services” should be checked.
- Then, click “Disable all”.
- If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 or any other previous windows versions, skip this step and go to the next step. Click the “Startup” tab. Click on “Open Task Manager”. Any enabled entries should be disabled by clicking on the enabled process name and then clicking on the “Disable button” at the bottom. (Before disabling, take note of the enabled programs so that you can enable it after the issue is resolved.) Close open windows and click “Apply” and OK” wherever necessary.
- Windows Vista or Windows 7 users need to click on the “General” tab. Then, select “Selective startup”. Make sure to remove the checkmark in the box “Load startup items”. Close open windows and make sure to click on “Apply” and OK” wherever necessary”.
- Restart the computer and see if the issue is still there or not.
- Once the problem is identified, you may need to undo what was done in the previous steps. That is, you need to enable all the Non-Windows services which you have disabled in the startup tab. Also, enable any programs you have disabled in the Task Manager.
How to Remove or Fix Clicktorun.exe File Errors?
There are different methods to fix officeclicktorun.exe errors.
1. Upgrade MS Office (Permanent Fix)
The permanent fix is to use the latest version of Office Product, MS Office 2016. Otherwise, the chances of recurring the malware infection will always be there.
- Remove the malware by following any of the methods given below.
- Go for the latest version of MS Office; i.e. MS Office 2016. This version does not require an officeclicktorun.exe file.
2. Use an Antivirus Software
Use any reliable antivirus software to detect and remove the malware from your computer. The procedure is listed below.
- Get a reliable antivirus software installed on your computer or laptop, if you do not have it.
- Go to the antivirus software application menu.
- Use the “Scan” feature to scan your computer for any malware.
- Follow the given remedial recommendations as shown in your computer. This includes cleaning or removing the infected files.
3. Unregister the Problematic DLL
Infected or malicious DLL files can be unregistered from the Windows, to avoid the problems related to the malware. This action is not recommended for novice users as it may cause problems if not done correctly.
- Type “cmd” on the search bar which is located in the taskbar.
- Select Command Prompt.
- Locate the malicious DLL file.
- Go to the directory where the malicious file is located by using the CD command.
- Unregister the malicious DLL files. The command to unregister the DLL file is “regsvr32 / u [DLLfilename]” and press Enter key. A confirmation message will appear on your screen.
4. Remove Privileges for the Malicious File
Removing the read and execute permissions for the malicious file can also resolve the issue. To remove the permissions, follow the instructions given below.
- Find the malicious physical executable file.
- Right-click on the file name.
- Go to the security tab and for each entry in the top portion.
- Then, remove the privileges. i.e. Deny “Read & execute” permissions to it under every “Group or user names”. This can be done by clicking the “Edit” button.
Conclusion: Officeclicktorun.exe file is used by the service ‘Microsoft Office Click To Run Service’ on computers with MS Office 2013. This file is required for any MS office 2013 product like Word or Excel to work. This service is used to manage resource coordination, streaming of background processes, and Microsoft office product integration. Some malware disguises themselves as this file, so as to appear it as a genuine file. You need to check the source directory and publisher’s name before confirming if it is the original file from Microsoft or not.
If the officeclicktorun.exe file on your computer or laptop is infected with malware, it misbehaves. The computer or browser may freeze. The malware may redirect you to other dangerous websites. It may also deactivate genuine windows service.
You can do a clean booting to check if the problem is with MS Office’s original file or not. In case your computer is infected with malware, you need to use any antivirus software which is reliable to check and take remedial actions. It may clean or remove the virus with your permission.
You can also unregister the problem causing the DLL file. Removing the permissions fo the infected files in another method to resolve the issue.
The permanent fix is to go for MS Office 2016, as it does not use this file, officeclicktorun.exe. Before installing MS Office 2016, you need to get rid of the malware from your computer or laptop.