Are you facing trouble in adding a quick launch toolbar in Windows 10? Don’t fret! It is one of the easiest things to do in windows. I will explain what is a quick launch bar and how to add it to the taskbar in Windows 10 computers. Customization of the toolbar is also explained as a bonus.
What is a Quick Launch Toolbar?
The quick launch toolbar is a very convenient way of opening any programs. One of the best features of the Quick Launch Toolbar is its “Show Desktop” shortcut. i.e. One default menu item in the quick launch bar is the “Show desktop”. Without this feature, the only way to access your desktop is by minimizing all open applications, which is quite cumbersome if you are working with multiple applications.
The folder for storing quick launch programs is located at %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. The quick launch toolbar can be added to the taskbar, quite easily.
How to Add Quick Launch Toolbar to Taskbar in Windows 10?
The steps to add the quick launch bar to the windows taskbar is detailed below.
- Right-click on any free space in the taskbar located at the bottom of the screen.
- Select ‘Toolbars’.
- Select ‘New Toolbar’.
- Copy and paste the following line into the ‘Folder’ column value field.
- %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.
- Awesome! The toolbar in now there on your taskbar.
Note: You may repeat the above-mentioned procedure to create any number of Quick Launch Toolbar in Windows 10!
Fine Tuning the Quick Launch Toolbar
To show or hide the title or text of the items in a quick launch bar, you need to unlock the taskbar.
- This can be done by right-clicking on the quick launch bar (dotted separator line located to the left of the quick launch bar in older versions of windows).
- Then, click on “Lock the taskbar”. This action removes the tick sign near the ‘Lock the taskbar’, meaning that it is unlocked now.
- Optionally, to move the bar to the left side.
- Place the mouse cursor on the two vertical lines (||). These two small vertical lines are seen to the left side of what is written as “Quick Launch”. The lines change to a double-sided arrow once the cursor is placed over it. Drag the arrow towards the left side, This expands the quick launch bar fully. You may optionally drag it further to the left. It moves to the left, to a certain extent.
- Now, notice that the vertical two lines have changed to two small arrows! Clicking on these arrows shows or hides the hidden taskbar items.
- In most cases, you can drag the Quick Launch bar up to the fourth position after ‘Search box’, ‘Talk to Cortana’, and ‘Task View’.
- If you want to Move the Quick Launch toolbar next to the windows ‘Start’ button, there is a trick, which is explained under “Move the Quick Launch Toolbar next to the Windows Start Button” subheading, below.
- Optionally, click on the menu item ‘Show Text‘ and (or) ‘Show title‘ as per your needs. This places or removes a tick mark next to the menu item. If both are unticked, it does not show the title and text in the taskbar. Instead, icons are displayed.
- You can make the icons large or small. To do this, right-click on the quick launch bar and select “View”. Then click “Large Icons” or “Small Icons”, accordingly.
- After you have made all the settings changes, you may “Lock the taskbar”, so that it is not moved accidentally.
Free Advice on How to Move the Quick Launch Toolbar next to Windows Start Button
The secret in bringing the toolbar close to the Windows start button is by hiding those items which stay in between! There are probably three items in between which need to be hidden. i.e. ‘Search box’, ‘Talk to Cortana’, and ‘Task View’ are to be hidden. I will explain how to hide (and to bring it back if required) them in detail..
- To hide the Search box, right-click on the Taskbar.
- Select “Cortana” (or “Search” in some systems).
- Then, select “Hidden” from the popup menu.
- That’s it! The search box is gone!
- If you want the search box back, right-click on the Taskbar and select “Cortana” or “Search” and then select “Show search box”.
- Alternatively, the same results can be achieved through the Windows registry editor also.
- The respective hive key is Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.
- If “Windows Search” is not existing, create a new Key under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.
- Now, right-click on the new “Windows Search” and click “New” and then “DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
- Name it as “AllowCortana” give it a hexadecimal value “0” (Zero).
- Restart your computer for the registry changes to be applied.
- Replace the previously mentioned “AllowCortana” value of 0 with the value of “1”, to get the search box back.
To hide the Task View icon, do the following.
- Right-click on the taskbar.
- Click on “Show Task View Button” from the popup menu. It will hide the “Task View”.
- If you want the “Task View” icon back, Once again follow the same steps. i.e Right-click on the taskbar and then click on “Show Task View Button”
To hide the “Talk to Cortana” icon, do the following.
- Right-click on the taskbar.
- Then click on the “Show Cortana button”. This hides the Cortana icon.
- To get it back, follow the same steps. i.e Right-click on the taskbar and then click on the “Show Cortana button” .
Now, the Quick Launch Toolbar will most probably be located next to your windows start key icon. If not, drag the Quick Launch Toolbar to the left-most position.
How to Add and Delete Shortcuts in Toolbar
You can drag and drop any existing shortcut from your desktop to the Quick Launch Toolbar. If there is no existing shortcut, you need to create the shortcut first and then drag it to the Toolbar.
How to Remove it in Windows 10
If you want to remove the Quick Launch Toolbar, right-click on the Quick Launch Toolbar and then click “Toolbars” and then “Quick Launch”.
Conclusion: Quick Launch Toolbar in Windows 10 is a feature that allows programs, files, desktop, etc., to be accessed very easily. “Show desktop” is one of the best features of Quick Launch bar, which otherwise is possible only after minimizing all applications.
By default, the Quick Launch bar is not shown in windows 10. But, you can add or remove it anytime, quite easily. You can optionally change its settings and position.