Swapfile.sys file can be found both in Window 8 and Windows 10. Swapfile.sys file is a special kind of of pagefile which is used internally by system to make few paging operations more efficient. It is used to suspend/resume modern Windows apps. It was first introduced in Windows 8 along with pagefile.sys file.
In simple terms, when the system detects pressure in terms of memory then swapfile.sys comes into action. It mainly suspends apps which are not being used by user at that point of time to gain additional memory. It frees up space for the system which can be used for current app or any other important background activity. When the memory pressure on system is low then swapfile.sys will again resume the apps for the user. You can also say if the user switches back to the app then swapfile.sys will resume that app providing it with enough memory to run.
You can say it’s more like hibernating an app until you use it again. Windows 10/8 make use of suspend/resume mechanism for their modern apps which consume a lot of memory if they continue to run in the background even if you are not using it. Hopefully it will clear your doubt regarding swapfile.sys file in Windows 10/8/8.1.
How to Delete swapfile.sys file in Window 10?
Swapfile.sys is a system file. It remains hidden in a folder/drive. So first of all you have to uncheck hide protected operating system files. It can be easily done by going to view of any folder. However follow the steps below to delete swapfile.sys on Windows 10/Windows 8/8.1
- Go to C drive. ( Wherever Windows was installed.)
- Click on “View” at the top menu.
- Click on “Options” at left hand side.
- Click on “Change Folder and Search Operations“.
- Click on “View tab” in the window that opened.
- Scroll down and uncheck “Hide protected operating system files“.
- Click Apply and OK.
As soon as you do it, you will be able to see system files such as pagefile.sys, swapfile.sys, bootmgr, bootnxt etc.. in C drive at the bottom.
Step no. 8 – Swapfile.sys isn’t a very big file. It will be around 250 MB. Right Click on the file and Click Delete.
Is it recommended to delete swapfile.sys?
A big NO. It’s not recommended to delete swapfile.sys or pagefile.sys on any given day. It’s there for a reason and that’s why it’s hidden. It’s not a very big file and secondly it’s being managed internally by windows along with pagefile.sys. If you disable pagefile.sys internally from system properties then it will also delete swapfile.sys from C drive. Let it be there and make windows make good use of it to control modern apps which give a good look on Window 10/8.
How to Delete swapfile.sys file Automatically?
Swapfile.sys works along with pagefile.sys. Swapfile.sys can be deleted manually by methods shown above. However it can be deleted automatically as well but it’s not recommended as well. You have to disable pagefile in system properties for automatic removal of swapfile.sys in Windows 10. Follow the steps below to remove swapfile automatically-
- Go to your System Properties.
- Click on “Advanced System Settings“.
- Click on “Advanced tab“.
- Under performance, click on “Settings“.
- Switch to “Advanced” tab and press Change.
- Uncheck the checkbox in front of “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives“.
- Select drive and click on “No paging file” to remove pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys both.
- Press Set and click on OK.
- Reboot your computer to take effect.
How to Delete Swapfile.sys using registry in Windows 10?
swapfile.sys file can be deleted using registry as well. If you are unable to delete swapfile.sys using above methods then you can try out this method. Follow the steps below to delete swapfile.sys using registry in Windows:
- Go to RUN.
- Type “REGEDIT.EXE” and hit enter.
- Go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management“.
- Create a new DWORD 32 bit value. Name it “SwapfileControl” and set it to 0.
- Reboot computer to check whether swapfile.sys got deleted or not.
Hopefully it will solve you swapfile.sys problems in Windows 10. If you have any other doubt please comment below.